Monday, August 2, 2010

Stung Into Action!


Renewed motivation. Sometimes, after surrendering to complacency, after losing the flame that ignites our passion to accomplish our goals, we find ourselves feeling the wisps of a second (or third or fourth) wind. After a weekend of beer, cheese curds, steaks, and all varieties of chocolate, I want to recommit. I want to ride that second wind to my goal of being a 140-lb runner. I want that lean, fit body that I'd been working on for what seems like forever!

I do accept the limitations of my body. I accept that my breasts and backside are less than perfect no matter what size I am. I accept that I have an achy back and weak knees that may sometimes prevent me from working out as hard as I would like. I accept that I have stretch marks and cellulite.

But you know what I can't accept? I can't accept that those little imperfections negate all that is wonderful about how God made me. And I can't accept that I don't have control over what and how much I eat. Because I do. I may have to accept the limitations of genetics and biology, but that shouldn't stop me from working to be the best I can be despite those limitations.

Exercise

Today was supposed to be a stretch & strength day, but I wanted to make up for my missed run last week while I was in Wisconsin. So, I set off for a 3-mile run in my parents' neighborhood. It was hot, but the humidity was tolerable and hills were killer!

Then, just as I reached 2.5 miles, I felt a searing pain on my wrist. I thought that maybe I kicked up a stick or some other sharp debris, but the pain was getting worse. I lifted my wrist so I could see what I might have cut myself on. And there, underneath the band of my Polar monitor was a frantic bee! It was stuck there stinging away. I shook my arm and tried to wiggle the wrist band loose, but that sucker was buzzing and fluttering its wings and just freaking.me.out! Finally, after what felt like forever, it flew free. And do you know what? I was still running during this whole scenario! I didn't even realize that I hadn't stopped!

But I did stop soon after because it started burning like a *expletive*! I was disappointed that I didn't finish my run, so I decided to go inside and do some strength exercises, which I've been letting slip ever since I started training for the half-marathon. All in all, I had a good workout. Tomorrow morning I'm getting up to go to the gym for my 3.5 miler (fingers crossed!).

Deedah

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man! Talk about hardcore, not stopping while it was stinging you! I know how it is about body parts that won't cooperate. I had knee surgery a few years ago, so without fail that always acts up at the worse times when exercising.

Post a Comment

 

Deedah's Cupcakes & Fitness 2.0! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice