Monday, August 23, 2010

Run Fail

I had run the longest long run on the training program in California when I flew through 10 glorious miles to and from Downtown Disney. I was easily running 5- and 6-mile runs every other day like they were cake walks. Up and down the hills of San Diego despite the chill of the California mornings, I ran. "From now on, this training will be a breeze." I thought to myself. "It can't get any tougher than the 10 miles I already accomplished!"

Then I returned home. I was back to the typical hot, sultry, humid late summer of the mid-Atlantic. And I was sick. My chest burned; my sinuses throbbed in my head; tissues were strewn about me in crumpled white crusty balls on my bed and on the floor and in the pockets of my jeans. My mornings started with a behind-the-counter Sudafed (the kind you can make meth with) and a diet Coke (because the carbonation felt good against my throat). The heat exacerbated the pressure in my head, making it like a vice wrapped around my face.

The worst part? I couldn't run.

Today I was determined to try. I set a goal of an "easy" 4 miles (cocky, no?). After work, the weather was cooperating and not very humid, and the sun had disappeared behind some clouds. My cold had abated, with only a trickle from my nose and a slight tickle in my throat.

Off I went. The run started easy enough, and I was relieved that I was able to get back to my favorite hobby as of late. Then, by the time I hit 1.5 miles, my heart rate was 186 bpm, high above my usual running heart rate of 165 bpm. My chest felt like it was filled with cement. Black phantom spots were appearing in front of my eyes, and my balance was starting to get shaky. So, at mile 2.36, I stopped and walked.

Less than 2 and a half miles.

I almost wish I never ran. I'm terrified of running tomorrow and achieving (if you can call it that) the same results. I was only sick for 5 days. I only didn't run for 5 days! How could it be that I couldn't complete 2 and half miles?

Right now, my head aches and my chest is sore from the exertion. Sigh.

I'm sure if I give it some time, I'll get back in top form. If fact I know it. I guess I'd rather take it slow than pass out and embarrass myself, right?! LOL

Tomorrow I'm going to try and workout again, hopefully with better results!



Mark on August 24, 2010 at 9:57 AM said...

Although the cold symptoms had eased, it sounds like you were still ill when you tried to run. Even when the symptoms have completely cleared and the virus has been defeated, your body will still be weakened from the battle.

Just rest a little and gather your strength. You'll be flying again in a few days :)

Deedah on August 24, 2010 at 10:18 AM said...

Thanks, Mark! I'm resting today. I'm praying I can get back into the swing of things by the weekend. We're expecting some nice weather around here.

Post a Comment


Deedah's Cupcakes & Fitness 2.0! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice