Tuesday, July 20, 2010

There and Back Again


When my alarm went off this morning at 4:30, I heaved my stiff and sore body out of bed and, in a groggy fog, got myself to the gym to run my scheduled 3.5 miles. I thought I wouldn't be able to run a good run; I thought my leaden legs would struggle and fight me every meter.

Then, before I could even talk myself out of it, I was on automatic, choosing more challenging settings on the treadmill. And I took off at an even faster pace and higher incline than usual. I ran the entire 3.5 miles like I was running on air. My legs took over and got me to the finish, and I felt invigorated!

Food!
I ate pretty well today. Of course my Weight Watchers online tracker says that I went a little over my daily points again. But I still have plenty of Flex Points and Activity Points (which I add to everyday) so I don't really think it's a bad thing. I'm really starting to think that tracking my points isn't for me. I just get irritated when I lose points for eating things like cherries and mangoes, or when I try to get some protein by eating a tablespoon of almond butter (which is, like, 5 points by itself). I lose motivation when I see that I only have 3 points left for dinner, and, after walking 1.7 miles to the Metro station, I'm starving. I just don't think 1-point soups at night are going to give me the energy I need for my early-morning runs, especially when they start getting longer and longer or when it's running plus strength training.

Maybe I'm not doing it right? Any Weight Watchers out there? One day, I ate all my 21 points and calculated the calories out of curiosity. It was under 1,000, which I don't think is enough, for me anyway. I do have good luck with using applications like Fitday.

I've been trying to lose these darn 10-15 pounds for years, but it by no means makes me an expert. I would have lost the weight my now if I was. Part of my journey is trial and error, trying again and again until that Eureka! moment when the stars align and my body, my eating, and my exercise are all in sync and the weight comes off. I was doing it last year; I came thisclose to reaching my goal, until I was sidetracked by a health issue.

But I'm not out for the count! I'm well now, I can eat just fine (obviously!), and I can workout normally.

Tomorrow, I'm going to go to my Jazzercise class, since I'm scheduled to either run 2 miles or do some form of cross-training. I haven't been to class since I started the half-marathon training, and I miss how fun and energetic it can be. I'll also be slaying the dragon(fruit)! Stay tuned!

Deedah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Deedah's Cupcakes & Fitness 2.0! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice