Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Some News of the Ornithological Variety...


Just kidding...(you Family Guy enthusiasts get the joke, I'm sure)

But seriously, Family Guy seems to always be on TV at any given time. I found this out last night (or rather early this morning). I went to bed around 10 pm, which is early for me, because, as I wrote in my last post, I wanted to get up and go to the gym before work for my 3.5-mile run and some strength. So much for that! I ended up waking up at 1:30-ish and COULD NOT get back to sleep. I tossed and turned. I kicked off my blanket, got cold, and then pulled it back on. I fluffed my pillows, flipped my pillows, rolled to one side and then the other. All to no avail. I decided that the best course of action at this point was to watch TV until I got drowsy again. So I turned on the TV to Adult Swim on Cartoon Network and, luckily, Family Guy was on (again). By this time, it was 3 am. I watched both episodes and stopped short of Robot Chicken then went to sleep. 

This happens to me sometimes when I know I have to wake up extra early. It's like the anticipation of having to get up earlier than usual---whether to go to the gym or catch a flight or whatever the reason---makes it impossible for me to get any real sleep. When I know that I need to get up at an ungodly hour, I either can't fall asleep or can't stay asleep. Early 6 am flight? Need to catch the Super Shuttle by 3:45 am to get to the airport? Forget it. I stay up all night. Then, I can't even sleep on the plane. For me, it's like the window of opportunity for sleep slams shut the minute the alarm goes off.

That's why I don't really like to make big plans to go to the gym early in the mornings. To do this, I usually have to get up at 4:45. I can't tell you the number of times I would pack my gym bag and work clothes, etc., the night before only to wake up at 4:45, change the alarm to 6 am, unpack it all the next morning, and end up working out after work. Some days I manage the early workouts. Sometimes, like last night, I get too worked up about getting up early that I end up completely rearranging my plans for that extra hour and fifteen minutes of sleep.

Needless to say, it was a long day at work, especially when your job is to read dry scientific manuscripts all day long! But I was determined to get to the gym tonight to get my scheduled run in. I was NOT going to miss a day!

And I didn't (with a little help from some sugar-free Red Bull!)

I got home, took care of the puggies, ate a Bagel Thin with some almond butter and an ear of corn (no butter), and went to the gym.

Where I ran 5 MILES and did some chest, triceps, and deltoids too! So that's my long run for the week. Now when I go to Wisconsin, I'll only have my shorter runs to do, which will be so much more convenient! But hey, if I end up running another long run this week, then why not?

Tomorrow, I want to either run my 2-miler or 3.5 miles, depending on how my knees and back feel.

Till Tomorrow,

Deedah

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sooo reminds me of me (and I totally got the Family Guy reference in the title lol) and how I sleep. No matter how much earlier I go to bed at night, if I have to get up mega early (or what at least _I_ would consider early) I can't fall asleep and then wake up a million times. I also can't sleep on a plane. I can't shut my mind off from thinking when i'm trying to sleep at night. My husband falls asleep at the drop of a hat, and it takes me hours of laying there. I could go to bed at 7:30, knowing I had to get up at 5am and probably would still not actually finally fall asleep until 11 and then would wake up every half hour until it was time to get up haha.

Post a Comment

 

Deedah's Cupcakes & Fitness 2.0! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice