Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Spoke Too Soon!


Last night after my run, I was feeling great. I was proud of myself for knocking out 5 miles AND doing my toning exercises. I had that postrun clearheadedness, that feeling of what a car might feel after getting a long-overdue oil change---clean, tuned up, raring to go. I ran a couple of errands at the grocery store and dollar store by my gym and headed home for the night.

Then, out of nowhere, that dreaded gurgling feeling, accompanied by nausea, a headache, and dizziness. A couple of shots of Pepto Bismol and a chaser of ginger ale later, I was in my bed---fetal position---wondering what in the world I could have ingested that would turn me from pounding the treadmill to hugging the porcelain thrown within a couple of hours! I hadn't eaten since dinner. I only drank a sealed bottled water I got from my parents' house. Then, I remembered the Diet Dr. Pepper I bought from the dollar store. It must have been that. I wanted a soda from the grocery store, but I remembered that the same bottled sodas were only a dollar at the dollar store. Cheapskate that I am, and in order to save 49 cents, I held out and bought the Diet Dr. Pepper. 

I woke up still feeling queasy and slightly unsettled so I decided I would just go for the 2-mile walk option instead of trying to cross off a 3.5 miler. So I set out for the Metro station in my neighborhood. I felt lousy, weak, and all around not in the mood. I saw the bus coming up behind me and the bus stop directly in front of me. So I hopped on. Defeated and disappointed, I took my seat, mad at myself for wasting a perfect opportunity for exercise.

But I made up for it with a 2-mile walk in the afternoon, even though I wasn't really feeling all that great the entire day. I'm taking tomorrow as a rest day and will run my 3.5-mile runs over the weekend somehow. I'm determined!

I pretty much had a lousy day. I argued with Brian all day because 1) I wasn't feeling good, 2) I was feeling frustrated about a lot of other things I won't go into for the sake of trying to keep this blog uplifting, and 3) (TMI) it's that time of the month and I've been feeling overall out of sorts all week. Just being honest. No, it's not an excuse to be a jerk or to pick fights. And I'm sorry about that.

Life still happens around our fitness/running/diet/health goals, and a lot of times life affects whether we succeed or fail, whether we maintain our enthusiasm, whether we binge or stay on plan. If we lived in a bubble we would all be fit, fast runners with no hang ups about food, right? However, that's not how it is. And the key to our success is to work to make our health and pursuit of health an ingrained function that operates independently of our consciousness. Easier said than done? Sure. But that's why we're all here. We're working toward that goal. And in doing that, we are well on our way!

Deedah

2 comments:

Miz on July 29, 2010 at 3:39 AM said...

oh my gosh what a DAY for you.

and yes.
youre so right about life happening and going on and continuing no matter where we are on our own paths.

we just need to keep at it and, for me, lots of that keeping at it is reading about other peoples journeys as well.

MizFit

Mark on July 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM said...

We're all works in progress. Some days go better than others. That's just the way it is.

All we can do is keep pushing forward, although you gotta make sure you don't overdo it :)

Post a Comment

 

Deedah's Cupcakes & Fitness 2.0! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice