Monday, September 27, 2010

Nothing Beats Gold!


I've mentioned before that I don't have a gallbladder. I lost her almost a year ago, actually! Wow, time sure does fly.

Presurgery, I was explicitly told not to eat fatty foods because doing so would surely bring on another attack (just about the worst pain I'd ever felt, like someone was stabbing me and punching me in the gut at the same time), so I heeded that warning to the letter, even though I had to travel to Chicago for business (yup, even though I had a ticking time bomb gallbladder), which is the home of some of the most delicious food, and then on to Milwaukee to visit Brian. During this trip, I turned down fish fries, curds, deep-dish pizza, steak, and the like. 

Then after surgery I was told to expect to be intolerant of many of the foods I now enjoy, especially of the high-fat variety. Well, obviously I didn't suffer those postsurgical woes, and I recovered quickly and pretty much 100%, which I'm extremely grateful for---except lately.

Lately, because I've been, ahem, lax on my diet, I've been getting some grief from my tummy. Nothing gross. I just feel overall discomfort, like trying to digest rocks would be a good way to put it. After my surgery, I ate healthy, with intermittent treat days here and there. I would never eat pizza on consecutive days, or even weeks; I didn't eat cake, unless it was on a special occasion; I didn't eat "whatever I wanted" even in moderation; I always had to have vegetables at every meal; and I tried to avoid processed foods and frozen dinners whenever possible. I was a good eater, if I do say so myself. But lately, um, I've been lazy, as I've written previously. And I've been feeling ill for it. I haven't gained a ton of weight, maybe a pound or two. But I've felt it!

So today I started on my path back to healthy eating (which I've been going on and on about in previous posts but didn't do anything about because of the whole laziness and boredom issue), and I don't really care how much of my money I spend on it! I don't care that a Whole Foods salad bar salad will cost me $6 compared with a slice of $3 pizza. I don't care that lean meats and brown rice made at home will require me to cook again rather than buying whatever Lean Cuisine is on sale in the freezer aisle. I've reached the end of my rope with digesting rocks and feeling like I'm full of sludge (which, TMI, is what my gallbladder was full of according to the surgeon)!

Today for lunch, I had steamed corn, carrots, potatoes, and green beans, which would be a typical lunch for me last year. I also had two wonderful treats that I wanted to share with you because they were so delicious!

Last night, we went to the huge international grocery store again, the one where I had the unfortunate encounter with dragon fruit. There, amidst the endless produce, I found these (still on the stem!):



and these:


The first picture is of golden dates! They are smaller than the variety I'm used to seeing (i.e., Medjool), but they were still so good! Dates are great little sources of fiber, carbs, potassium, some B complex vitamins, and magnesium. (Source: Family Nutrition Online) They're great for taking the edge off a sweet tooth and are excellent in oatmeal or with a little peanut butter.

The second picture is of a golden kiwi. Let me tell you how delicious a golden kiwi is! It's a lot like a green kiwi. The odd thing is that it tastes greener than a green kiwi. I mean, it tastes like green jello, like lime candy. One little kiwi contains more vitamin C than oranges, as much potassium as bananas, beta-carotene, as well as fiber and anti-oxidants. 

I can't wait to get back from Denver to pick up more of these!

Deedah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Deedah's Cupcakes & Fitness 2.0! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice