Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Bird in the Hand


I haven't blogged in several days.

I've been unbelievably busy with work and trying to figure out my next moves. And I've been incredibly stressed out doing it!

Now, I've got to decide how much freelance work I can actually handle without losing my mind because I just found out that the publishers who took over my last freelance job, the one I was let go from, want me to work for them. They want me to take on upwards of 10 or more articles of approximately 12 pages each for a 5-day turnaround deadline. That's in addition to the freelance job I've just finishing training for, which sends me five articles of 30 or more pages a week IN ADDITION to my full-time job and heavy travel schedule. I really don't know what to do. I'm traveling so much from now until the end of the year that I can't breathe just worrying about how I'm going to do everything during that time.

I should point out that the new freelance job (for the old journal but with the new publishers) pays three times as much as my current one, is for journals I've edited for 6 years (I know the style backwards and forwards), and would only stress me out (big time) once a month as opposed to every. single. day. The bad side is that although it pays much more, the work load isn't as predictable as my current one. Some months will be leaner than others. So instead of a predictable 5 articles a week, every week. I might get anywhere from 10 to 15 and maybe even sometimes less than 10.

I have to choose ONE freelance job and let the other one go. But in this economy, I really can't imagine who would think turning down work is a good idea. It seems almost like a sin. But keeping both and being overloaded just for the money seems just as bad because it would be motivated by greed. Maybe someone out there needs work and I'm hogging these two jobs that I can't handle?

In this case would a bird the hand (my current freelance gig that makes me miserable because it takes up every waking free moment of my life) be worth more than a slightly more attractive bird in the bush (I'm definitely hired and filled out all the IRS forms. But I'm not sure how they operate or how much more lucrative it is than what I have now, which, although miserable, is becoming tolerable)? I'll pray about it. I prayed that things would work out when a door was closed to me, when I first got let go and (remember I was going to hock my watch), and I now have to decide between the two windows God has provided. Can't be ungrateful for that!


Regarding my training. I bet you think I've let that slide. Nope! I've not only been training (I ran 7 miles on Saturday, 5 miles on Sunday, and 4 miles last night with long walks on the in-between days) but I'm eating much healthier as well! It really helps to know that I have a handle on at least one aspect of my life!

Anyway, back to work!

Deedah

1 comments:

Mark on October 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM said...

Hello stranger! Glad you're back :)

Would it be possible to keep both jobs for a short while? Just long enough to help you make a more informed choice having experienced both sides.

I guess if I had to choose, I'd choose based on which one I thought would be most secure. Of course, there is no such thing as job security, especially in this economy, but if I had to choose I'd take the one that was less likely to dissolve. If that meant keeping the higher paid one, that's a bonus :)

It's a tough decision. Ultimately, you have to be happy though. Why waste your life doing something you don't enjoy? As the old saying goes... we're here for a good time, not a long time :)

Well done for keeping up with the running too. That'll probably help with the stress of all this!

Post a Comment

 

Deedah's Cupcakes & Fitness 2.0! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice